Monday, February 17, 2014

Mixed Media Monday-Wildflower Frame

*****To join our February Challenge: Anything Goes, CLICK HERE*****


Hello everyone and Happy Monday! Its Amber here with a fun altered frame I created for this weeks Mixed Media Monday Post. I'm fairly new to mixed media, but lately I been so inspired by Dana's, Katie's, Norma's and Erica's fabulous creations that I have been trying to create and share a few projects of my own. So today I thought it would be fun to share this fun little photo frame that I altered with some patterned paper, paint, ink, and some gesso.


I've had a bunch of these little wooden frames setting in my stash that I picked up from the dollar store awhile back for some time now. I been wanting to alter one or two of them , but never got around to it until today.

Step 1. 
Here is what the frame looked like before I started to alter it. 

Step 2.
After I had the frame taken apart I pulled out a sheet of 6 x 6 patterned paper and traced around the insides and outsides of the frame. 

Step 3. 
I cut all four of my paper panels out and then positioned them over the frame just to make sure they were not to big or too small.

Step 4. 
In a small metal bead dish I added some CTMH paint and a few drops of juniper ink for color. After I had my paint and ink mixed together I started painting my frame. Depending on the type of wood your frame is you might have to add a few layers of paint to completely cover the surface. I had to apply two coats to this fame.

Step 5. 
 In the first photo you can see what the frame looked like after I added two layers of paint. You can see that the surface is not completely covered but that's okay because the next step was to cover the front with patterned paper. Now most of the time you would let the paint dry before adding your patterned paper and gesso but I only let it dry for a few minutes and then started the next process. I didn't alow the paint to dry completely because I wanted some of the paint to show through the patterned paper. The second photo shows the patterned paper being covered with a layer of gesso.

Step 6. 
This is is what the frame looked like after a couple layers of gesso had been added and you can also see how some of the paint seeped through the patterned paper just like I wanted. While my frame was drying off to the side I pulled out one of the quotes from the Wildflower Cling Stamp set and stamped it onto a 2.5" x 3.5" piece of white cardstock.


Supplies: Wood Picture Frame / Cardstock- White / Patterned Paper- Heidi Swapp Mixed Company Collection / Paper Wings Productions Cling Stamp Set- Wildflowers / CTMH Paint / CTMH Ink Refill- Juniper / Versa Color Ink Pad- Royal Blue / Gesso


7 comments:

  1. beautiful frame, love the colors and the step by step pics :)
    http://www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I love the color of your frame. What is CTMH paint?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! CTMH Paint is paint from Close To My Heart, its called Create A Shade- Pearl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful transformation Amber, I really love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Thanks for the information on how to do this project! Love your colors!!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...