Monday, October 29, 2012

Mixed Media Monday with Norma G



Here's another great mixed media canvas from Norma G!


Hi there! 
Today I want to show you how to use multiple stamps to create a large piece of art.  For this project I'm using a 9x12 canvas and LOTS of PWP stamps.


My inspiration for this piece was the PWP Earth & Sky stamp set.

I wanted to give my background an earthy feel so I began by applying a layer of old gesso.  It was all lumpy and ugly but I was determined to use it anyway so I added some water to loosen it up.  I used a pallet knife to spread it over the canvas and let it cure overnight.  The lumpiness worked beautifully to create the perfect texture.  Next I applied Liquitex Soft Body Acrylics in Cerulean Blue, Vivid Lime Green, Cadmium Yellow and Unbleached Titanium.  Once my paint was dry, I cut a strip of joint tape in half and used it as a mask with Dylusion Vibrant Turquoise.  I randomly stamped the earth and clouds with black Stazon.  You can find these stamps in the PWP Earth & Sky , Cloudy Cling Stamp Set & World Cling Stamp.


Once my background was complete I began working on the tag.  I used a #8 size manila tag by Ranger.  The first thing I did was use gesso to resist the inks.   I chose to use the borders in the new PWP Build A Shrine Stamp Set and an angel from the new PWP Angels Cling Stamp Set.  To color the tag I used Dylusions Ink Sprays in Vibrant Turquoise and Fresh Lime.  I also mixed in a little Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Distress Ink.  Finally I stamped two of the flourishes from the PWP Flourish Elements Cling Stamp around the edges with Timber Brown Stazon.


Moving onto the sentiment, I placed the quote between the two split horizon stamps, embossed and colored the same way as the tag.  You can find these stamps in both the PWP Earth & Sky and PWP Sunrise Cling Stamp Set.  I stamped/embossed the quote again on a scrap piece of cream colored cardstock, inked the edges and stamped flourishes around all of the edges of both pieces.  For added dimension, I attached the sentiment with pop dots.


To add a little softness, I attached cream glittered tulle.


To build my collage, I first attached a piece of cardboard.  I peeled pieces of the top layer off to expose the corrugation, inked and painted to match the background.  I stamped the angel from the PWP Angels Cling Stamp Set again, fussy cut her out and inked the edges.


I doodled around the tag with a white gel pen then attached it to the cardboard.  I also added scraps of fabric, ribbon, twine and a cross charm to the tag.


This little angel is from the new PWP Angels Cling Stamp Set.  She's attached with pop dots.


Here's a closer look at all of the texture in the background and all of the little details.  For the final finishing touches, I decided to stamp two more of the borders from the PWP Build A Shrine Stamp Set along the left edge and added some twine.  

I was really inspired by all of the new PWP stamps and I hope you are too.  Thanks so much for stopping by today.  We appreciate all of your comments so keep them coming!

Have a Beautiful Day!!

5 comments:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous, Norma!! I love the texture and the layers!! What a stunning canvas!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!absolutely Beautiful as always...LOL.You know it is!!Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norma, you have done it again! I love this idea and how you take us through your process! Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...