Thursday, May 24, 2012

Oh Baby!

Happy day peeps,

I tried my hand at a gift for a baby (probably boy, but perhaps not) that adds a little color and handmade charm to the nursery using the color combo from last week of yellow, aqua and coral.  For more information and projects using this color combo check out this post HERE and HERE


My background was inspired by Julie's baby card found HERE. I loved how she used all of her Whimsical Pattern Alphabet as a background and that is how I began as well...stamping the entire alphabet to make a fun pattern.

I then added watercolor markers, followed by Dylusions ink sprays and a Dylusions stencil and plenty of water. The colors were very vibrant and pretty, but I thought they were too intense for this project so I used a mixture of gesso and warm white paint to mute the colors. Of course this covered up the alphabet so I stamped it several times after the first time. Luckily the base of my project was a pretty heavy weight watercolor paper which held up to all the layers very well. 

I cut out the little paper boat and waves from patterned paper (don't worry about it being perfect, there is something special when you can see that someone made something themselves) and then I stamped each piece with a matching ink color using a flourish from Flourish Fun 2 and edged each with a matching color of watercolor marker. These flourishes work for nearly anything and I could probably add a flourish to every project I made so I better watch myself! 

My last bit of stamping was done sporadically around the top, right and left borders using the criss-cross border image from Details Framer using a gray ink so that it was somewhat subtle.  The words I had at hand...I like to sometimes type up a variety of words or phrases and have them when I need a few words sprinkled about a project.

Popping this little project into a frame would make a sweet gift for a little sailor.  You could easily change up the colors and patterns along with the image to suit your needs (for instance you could cut out a heart for a wedding gift...a house for a welcome home, hostess gift or housewarming gift).

Don't forget to check out the lovely card Julie made for a baby shower HERE

Take flight,
Shay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...