Thursday, March 8, 2012

Introduction to Julie Mogford


Hello peeps!

I have the pleasure of introducing you to Julie Mogford of Starlight Windsong.  Not only does she design fun and versatile stamps using her years of stamping experience like Flourish Fun 1, Flourish Fun 2, Frothy Concoctions, Play With Your Coffee, Whimsical Pattern Alphabet, but she also is responsible for many of the lovely samples you will see on our website and Facebook. 


Julie is a friend who I can happily talk to for hours about stamping, paper, blogs, designing and anything art related.  She is full of enthusiasm, humor, ideas, dreams and talent.  She's always willing to learn and share what knowledge she's accumulated.  She is very receptive to what others have to say, their thoughts and feelings which makes her not only a delightful friend and person, but also a gifted artist and teacher.  I love that her designs--whether they are her stamps or a card she's made--are thoughtful, crisp, pretty, playful and bright. 


About Julie in her own words:

I am a school teacher by day, crafter, artist and creativity explorer in my free time. I'm originally from Houston and live in San Antonio with my husband and my dog. Life is good!

I love playing with stamps, paper, paints and other mixed media, watching romantic comedies, and some of my favorite TV shows are Big Bang Theory, Glee, Project Runway and Fringe. Also, I can find happiness in a good piece of chocolate. :)

Some of my favorite movies are Pride and Prejudice (and nearly anything Jane Austen), When Harry Met Sally, The Princess Bride, Bridget Jones, Love Actually, Julie and Julia, A Room with a View......

I enjoy listening to pop, movie soundtracks, and 80's tunes.

Books that have made a great impact on me are The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown, Poemcrazy by Susan Goldsmith Wooldridge, and Taking Flight by Kelly Rae Roberts.


Want to read her responses to the Ten Things Questionnaire?  Julie's answers are in green.

One of your favorite books from childhood?
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing – Judy Blume – still think it’s so funny!!!

Two trends that you will never stop loving no matter how wrong?
Flourishes
Scalloped edges

Three of your roles in life?
Wife
Daughter
Teacher

Four of your favorite art tools?
Corner rounder
Prisma pencils
Caran D’ache watercolor crayons
STICKLES!!! Especially Rock Candy

Five places you want to visit?
Go back to Hawaii
Go back to France
England, Ireland and Scotland
North Carolina when the leaves are changing
Canada

Six sources of inspiration?
Pinterest – I’m so addicted!
Somerset Studio magazine
Kids – they see things from a different perspective.
My mom – our tastes are similar.  I think we feed each other’s creative spirit.
My husband – always giving me ideas, especially when I hit a creative block.
My talented friends at paper wings productions.

Seven people that you wish to thank?
My husband Davis for loving me, supporting me and cheering me on.
My mom Debbie, grandmother Addie and great grandmother Mary Beth for always spending time with me sharing their creativity, and for their generosity and love.
My dad, Charlie, sister / brother in law - Mandy & Jose, and all of my extended family in Angleton for cheering me on in anything I do.
The Fichtner and Garcia clans –miss you guys!
My friends at SG – VV, SE, LAL, LJ, LC, MP, TF J

Eight totally random bits of information:
1.   Do you like silence, listen to music or watch something as you create?
Usually, I have a movie playing – not because I’m watching it, but because I’m reciting the lines and listening to the soundtrack too.  Does that make me crazy???  Favorite:  Pride and Prejudice – Colin Firth of course.
2.   Do you cook?
Yes.  I like cooking when I want to cook, usually for special occasions.
3. Velma, Fred, Daphne, Shaggy or Scooby?
I think Scooby – sometimes I think my dog is going to start talking too – a mixture between Scooby and a wookie.
4.   If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
Flying – save gas money, save the environment, and avoid traffic J
5.   A book you would like to live in?
I would probably live in a Jane Austen book with stately manors, cozy (and not so cozy) cottages, and take walks in English gardens. Can I have an English accent please?
6.   How many pets?
One - Our big German Shepherd Nicolae
7.   What talent do you wish you had?
I wish my piano playing skills were better.
8.   Who do you wish would decorate your house?
I haven’t thought about this in a long time, but probably Nate Berkus, Candice Olson, Vern Yip, David Bromstad, Genevieve Gorder or Helen Buttigieg – should I just have said HGTV???

Nine Items on or in your desk/worktable?
Distress inks, sprays, watercolor crayons, patterned paper – whole and scraps, glue, STICKLES, very old book for tearing out pages, variety box of embossing powders, and an empty “candy cane” tube from peppermint Hershey kisses.

Ten colors you could not live without?
black, white, cranberry red, periwinkle blue, lime green, pool, so saffron (SU!), certainly celery (SU!), dark brown, kraft.

Continue coming back to The Aviary to see more of Julie's designs, art and a few other things she has up her sleeve.


Take flight,
Shay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate and treasure each and every comment. You make our day by taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Have an uplifting day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...